Summer is the time of the year in which our homes usually remain empty for a longer period of time and, consequently, is when more exposed to possible theft. Therefore, before leaving on a trip or absent for a few weeks, it is wise to take some precautions to maximize safety.
But how can we minimize the vulnerability of our homes? Considering some basic safety tips can complicate the work of thieves and make our homes safer.
- The best protection is to never leave the house alone, which would be ideal – even though this option is not always possible – that any family or friend is left at home when we go on vacation.
- The absence of noise and light gives many clues to possible intruders, which it is advisable to tell the neighbor that we go for a few days or weeks before he take a look at the house while we are not and even between to raise shutters, open curtains and turn on the radio during the day or leave a light on at night and empty the mailbox of correspondence. If opt for this possibility, it is imperative that the neighbor has a phone number where to reach us in case something happens.
- Another option to show that the floor is not just alternatively install timers radio and lights that are in place during certain hours of the day or night.
- Installing a surveillance system at home always gives more guarantees of protection. Placing a visible alarm at the entrance of the house and/or perimeter sensors on terraces and gardens can deter thieves and intruders. In the market there are different security expert companies such as 24hour locksmith in LA that offer such services. Some of them can be check remotely from a smartphone, allowing you to connect and disconnect the alarm device, open the door without a key or take pictures of the home to make sure everything works properly.
- One of the weaknesses of security in the home are the windows. They are one of the main entry points for thieves, which are highly recommended to use heavy glass and install locks that allow a much more secure closure. If you have a house with garden, a ladder lying on the ground should not be never left.
- The doors are another key element to prevent theft. The ideal is to be thick, solid and hard, and with a good lock. It is essential to lock when we absent from home, even for just a while. It is also important to take appropriate precautions to keep the keys and never store them with keychains or documentation that might reveal the thief the address to which they belong.
- Finally, dogs can also be a very good stewards of our house, if he train for it. They can live both inside and outside the home, depending on the type of housing and characteristics of the breed and dog. If leave ‘by’ security of our home is important to have good supplies of water and food, as well as to organize a family member, friend or neighbor who already know they make frequent visits to not feel alone.